Bling's weekly book review - The Recess Queen written by Alexis O'Neill and illustrated by Laura Huliska-Beith

Hi friends,

It is time for my weekly children's book review.   The name of the book is The Recess Queen.   The author is Alexis O'Neill and the illustrations were created by Laura Huliska-Beith.

The cover of the book caught my attention immediately - it is  yellow.   Yellow is my favorite color.   When I was a baby puppy, my collar was yellow.   I just love yellow.   The picture below is of my family (Faith and Bliss) getting ready to read the book.   My family loves to read together.   Reading together is one of our most favorite things to do.   Did you notice the yellow pillows?   I really love the color yellow.  What is your favorite color?

Okay - time to focus on our book review.   The book is about a girl named Jean.  The other kids called her Mean Jean.     When I turned to the first page in the book, Mean Jean looked really mean.   She had a really mean smile.    I was kinda afraid of Mean Jean and I didn't even know her.   All I did was look at her face and I knew she was mean.   It is interesting how the look on your face can tell someone else something.    I instantly thought to myself, "Bling, be careful of the faces you make."
The story went on to say how all the kids were afraid of Mean Jean.   Mean Jean was a bully.   The other kids didn't want to upset Mean Jean.   All Mean Jean did was be mean.   She really didn't have any friends.   How could she?  Who wants to be friends with someone who is mean?   Not me, that is for sure!

One day, a new girl came to school.  The new girl's name was Katie Sue.   Katie Sue was very happy and ignored how mean Mean Jean was.   The other kids couldn't believe it.   Then, to everyone's surprise, Katie Sue asked Mean Jean to play with her at recess.   Mean Jean was used to not having any friends.   She didn't know what to do when Katie Sue asked her to play.   Have you ever had anyone bully you?   It is a tough situation.   We don't always know what to do.   One thing is really important - if you feel someone isn't nice to you, tell an adult - your parents, your grandparents, a teacher - anyone that you can so you can talk about it.

The story has a wonderful ending.   I don't want to ruin it for you.   I hope you can go the the library and check the book out for yourself.   The story really gives us an opportunity to understand why some people are mean, why they can be bullies.   Always remember, it is not okay to be bullied by anyone.   Just as important, it is not okay for you to be a bully.   Being a bully or being bullied is wrong.

Thank you for reading my book review.  I'll have a new one next week.

Don't forget about my fan club.  If you do not belong to my fan club, you can sign up on line through  my website and you will receive my private newsletter.  Click on this link:  JOIN BLING'S FAN CLUB.

It is wonderful to hear about new books to read.  If you have a book you'd like to recommend for me to read, I'd love for you to email me at  adogbling@gmail.com

Love, hugs and a wagging tail, your friend, Bling

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bling has great news from a 3 year old

Bling's Book Review - Do Unto Otters, bu Laurie Keller

Bling's weekly book review: "No Roses for Harry" written by Gene Zion and illustrated by Margaret Bloy Graham.